Art and Experience: The world’s largest annual short film festival, Tropfest, was meant to be on at Sydney’s Centennial Park on Sunday.
Short film festival Tropfest will go ahead in February 2016 after securing a financial backer, organisers say.
Last month, it was announced that the festival had been cancelled due to what the founder John Polson described as the “terrible and irresponsible mismanagement” of funds.
This year’s event had been scheduled to take place on December 6 in Sydney’s Centennial Park.
This morning, Mr Polson said CGU Insurance was providing funding which would allow the film festival to go ahead on February 14 next year in Centennial Park.
Mr Polson said there had been an outpouring of support for the film festival since details of its financial problems had emerged.
Supporters took to social media to voice their support for the event across Twitter and Facebook.
“It’s incredibly encouraging to see that the Australian public and corporate community really want to see Tropfest return,” Mr Polson said.
“As a free, outdoor event, Tropfest makes short film accessible to all.
“There’s nothing else quite like it and I think that’s what people love.”
Mr Polson thanked the insurance company for its support, labelling the film festival’s resurrection as “the comeback story of the decade”.
“I feel ecstatic and I feel like I’m in a bit of a dream, I had to pinch myself,” he said.
“The last few weeks have been incredibly gruelling and I’d say for most of that time I though Tropfest was history.”
The length of the agreement is not known.
Billed as the world’s largest festival of its kind, Tropfest attracts hundreds of entries and is watched by thousands every year
Tropfest began with organised screenings at Sydney’s Tropicana cafe in 1993, and has since expanded to North America, the Middle East, New Zealand and South-East Asia.
A Tropfest spokesman said investigations into the mismanagement of past funding were ongoing.